Sunday 1 November 2009

Lil communication


In Chapter Eight of The Noughties, I suggested that Lily Allen, above any other musician, was able to encapsulate the decade, both with the multi-platform nature of her rise to fame, and the uneasy combination of rampant consumerism and creeping paranoia that permeates her 2008 hit ‘The Fear’.

But now she claims to have moved on, giving up MySpace, Twitter, even YouTube. “I’ve thrown away my laptop,” she says. “I haven’t got a Blackberry and I listen to records. It’s amazing.”

Records, eh? I remember them. The question is, has she stepped back to the analogue Nineties; or simply defined a new agenda for the Teens?


1 comment:

  1. Ahem, I think she has given up using the internet because her boyfriend didn't approve of her using Twitter.

    I hope she steps back to the pre-industrial 1790's and buggers off to a farm in a remote part of Scotland, never to be heard of again.

    ReplyDelete